The benefits of drinking water from copper bottles have been studied by scientists and many studies have found that drinking water stored in a copper vessel is a safe and beneficial health practice. Copper is a naturally occurring mineral that has been used for centuries to store and purify water. The ancient Ayurvedic principles have long espoused the benefits of drinking water stored in copper vessels.
One study, published in the Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, found that storing water in a copper pot for just 16 hours eliminated harmful bacteria such as E.coli and salmonella, and increased the water's pH level, making it more alkaline. The copper content of the water was also found to be less than 0.2 ppm, well below the permissible limit set by the World Health Organization.
Another study found similar results, with water stored in copper pots overnight becoming free of harmful bacteria and also becoming more alkaline, while still remaining safe for consumption with copper content of less than 0.475 ppm.
A third study, researchers stored water contaminated with bacteria in a variety of different water containers, including copper and silver containers, to determine their efficacy at removing biological contamination from drinking water. The study revealed that the copper vessels had a significant inhibitory effect on the bacteria in the water after only a few hours of exposure, and the pH of the water had also increased within a healthy range. The copper levels in the water remained within permissible levels even after several days.
These studies and others have shown that storing water in a copper vessel is not only safe, but can also have significant benefits for health. Copper is a naturally occurring mineral that has been used for centuries to store and purify water, and drinking water from a copper bottle is an easy way to incorporate more copper into your diet. While excessive copper intake can be harmful, using a copper water bottle in moderation and not storing the same water in it for more than 6 to 8 hours is a safe and healthy practice.